Monday, September 23, 2013

What are the scarves made of?

Many people are curious about the fiber content of the lacy scarves and necklaces that I make. They wonder where to find such fine yarn. Well, wonder no more.

The lacy scarves are made from a nylon yarn. After several attempts with plain white or beige cotton and other fibers I found this nylon yarn at Hobby Lobby in Latham, NY. The variety of vibrant colors immediately got me working on mixing different yarn colors and bead combinations. The result are the beautiful items that are for sale in my shop. 

When I started knitting the winter scarves last year I searched for a thin acrylic yarn that would accommodate small beads and began working with one of Vanna White's acrylic yarns that has a metallic thread running through it. The shimmer of the metallic thread and the beads created such a stunning effect that I couldn't stop making them. 

This year I received an order for a yellow scarf which took me out of my comfort zone since the Vanna White yarn doesn't come in yellow. This got me searching for different types of acrylic yarn. While most of them still have that metallic thread for extra shimmer I've found that some heavier yarns are coming out even more beautiful than last year's models. Check them out in my Etsy shop, cruisincreations.etsy.com or stop by one of the many craft fairs I will be at this fall to see these new items!

Craft Fair Update:
We had another great weekend at Eagle Mills Cider Company! Hats off to John who coordinated the event. He was very accommodating and kept everything running very smoothly. And, if you want delicious, cake like cider donuts the Eagle Mills Cider Company is the place to go!

Next stop? Congregation Agudat Achim Carrot Festival in Niskayuna, NY on Sunday, September 29. Stop by between 10:00 and 4:30 and get 10% off your purchase when you mention this blog.

Also, in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, purchase any pink item online or at a fair and 10% of the purchase will be donated to the American Cancer Society.

Can you help?
I'm working on getting 100 likes on my Facebook page by September 30. Please like my page: Facebook.com/cruisincreations12. Thank you for your help!

See you soon...Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment