Monday, October 21, 2013

A Good But Frustrating Day!

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 I participated in the Community Human Services Craft Fair at Burnt Hills Ballston Lake High School. I had heard that this was a good craft fair to get involved with so I gave it a try. While it was a good day for me I found the traffic to be spartan with very few buyers. 

At the end of the day I discovered that this show is usually held on a Sunday. I then was informed that at least one of the signs near the school listed the show for Sunday, October 19. When one crafter mentioned this to one of the organizers she was told that people know which day October 19 is. Given the amount of traffic I'm not so sure and think that sign created a lot of confusion for people. I'd bet many people stopped by on Sunday to find a building locked up tight and no craft fair.

My frustration with this is the attitude represented by the organizer. They had our money so they had nothing to lose with the light traffic; however, many of the crafters had a lot to lose. For many this is their livelihood so when they invest a good amount of money in a craft fair and people don't show up they lose out. 

***************************************************


After each fair I like to feature a few of the talented crafters I have have met during the show. This show had an abundance of talented crafters and a very nice selection of high quality crafts!

To my right was Ray Summers, a highly talented photographer! His photos, which are of scenes that extend from Maine to Florida, are so crisp and clear and the colors are so vibrant! People couldn't help themselves from purchasing several items at a time. You can check out Ray's work at www.raysummers.com.

Behind me was Quilts by Marie. Marie's hand quilted placemats, table runners, and scarves in 9-patch, Log Cabin, and Ohio Star patterns were nicely done and VERY reasonably priced. Marie does this for the love of quilting and to keep herself busy. It is obvious by the quality of her work that this is a labor of love.

Fraiser Country has been at several of the craft fairs I have been at recently; however, this is the first time they have been set up near my space. Paul and Sandra use antique items to create unique one of a kind lamps. Their designs created a nostalgic feeling as I watched several people admire and purchase their pieces. While they don't have a website you can find them at several area craft fairs including HVCC November 22, 23, & 24 as well as Harmagreal Craft Fair, Delmar December 7.

Have you heard of Stinky Dog? Apparently he has been around for about 15 years, but since I don't have children who would be interested in Stinky Dog I wasn't aware of him. He has made quite a name for himself and had several people visiting his space all day. You can check out Stinky Dog at www.stinkydog.com.

I featured Winniesoriginals.com a couple of blogs ago; however, I need to mention Winnie again! I recently ordered a purse from her. She was very easy to work with and accommodating, met my wishes for a particular sized bag, and I am very impressed with the quality of her work. 

I would also like to give a shout out for Teaman Beverages on Etsy.com. I recently purchased a selection of decafeinated teas from the Teaman and am so pleased by the quality and flavor of the teas as well as the cost. His prices, even with shipping, are a steal especially when you compare them to the prices for flavored teas in the grocery store. Look him up at www.teaman.etsy.com! BTW - he also sells a line of flavored coffee.

***************************************************


We are taking a week off from the craft fair circuit to get some things done around the house. Our next stop will be Schalmont High School, 1 Sabre Drive, Schenectady, NY 12306 on November 2, 2013 from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm. You can find Cruisin' Creations in space #24 in the high school lobby!

If that date isn't convenient for you my scarves, necklaces, bracelets and other items will be available for sale at the Shaker Heritage Society Christmas Craft Fair from October 26, 2013 - December 14, 2013. Shaker Heritage Society is located at 25 Meeting House Road, Albany, NY 12211. It is right near the Albany International Airport. The fair runs Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. This is a very important fundraiser for the Shaker Heritage Society. Please patronize them!

See you November 2!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the shout of for my Etsy shop Diane. So happy you enjoyed the tea....and by the way great blog!

    ReplyDelete