Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Very Moving Experience

I decided to switch my focus this week from featuring fellow artisans to discuss an experience my husband and I had over this past weekend.

On Sunday my husband and I attended a service at Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Rotterdam, NY for deceased members of the parish. After mass the name of each member who had died in the past year was called, and a representative for the member walked to the front of the church, lit a candle, and received a red rose in his/her honor.

It was an extremely emotional event; there were few dry eyes in the church. When my father’s name was called my husband and I walked to the front. I lit the candle not only for my father but for my father in law who also died this past year. As I received the rose, the person handing it to me squeezed my hand in a gesture of support. That gesture spoke volumes to me.

The rest of the day I felt drained, and remarked to my husband that I felt like I had buried my father all over again. I wondered if this service had done me some good or if it had just reopened wounds that were trying to heal.

I can assure you, now, that the service did me a lot of good! I woke Monday morning clear headed and ready to let him go, to remember the good times, the kindness and gentleness of this wonderful man, and forget the sorrow his death has caused. Yes, I still miss my father terribly, but I know that he is reunited with my mother and that he is no longer suffering. He lived 91 years! What more could we ask for?

As the holidays near I know his seat will remain glaringly empty, as my mother's seat has all these years, no matter who sits there, for no one person can replace this wonderful courageous man whom I am honored to call my father.


May you rest in peace, Mom and Dad. Love and miss you both…Diane

************************************************
If you ever have an opportunity to attend a service like this, I recommend that you do so. By attending you are honoring the deceased and helping yourself cope with the loss.

************************************************

My father was very supportive of Cruisin' Creations so he would be happy to know that I will be selling my creations at the Polish Community Center this Saturday, November 9, 2013. The Polish Community Center is located at 225 Washington Avenue Extension, Albany, NY. The show runs from 10:00 - 3:00. Hope to see you there!

Can't make the show? You can still shop at www.cruisincreations.etsy.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment