Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hurray For Handmade in the USA!

My husband and I spent this past Saturday at a craft fair to benefit the Little Sisters of the Poor at Our Lady of Hope Residence in Latham, NY. This was a craft and vendor show so along with Pampered Chef, Tupperware, and Mary Kay there were quite a few vendors who buy and sell.

Very early on I realized that the people surrounding me were buy and sell vendors. This concerned me because I didn't think I could compete with their very low prices. Those who are familiar with my designs know that I sell a line of high end women's accessories.

Across from me was a woman who sold Paparazzi necklace and earring sets for $5.00. To my right was a woman who sold a variety of items including little stuffed bunny rabbits for $5.00 each, and to my left was a husband and wife team who sold jewelry as well as $10.00 manufactured hats to which they added a flower or other embellishment. I thought, "How am I going to compete with this? My prices are so much higher!"

As I observed people throughout the day it appeared that my "neighbors" were quite busy and selling a number of items, but traffic in my booth and my sales seemed to be light. At the end of the day I realized that my perception was all wrong. Each of my neighbors in one form or another commented to my husband or me that they did not do as well as they would have liked and barely sold enough to cover the cost of the booth space for the day.

I was sorry for them; we are all small businesses just trying to eek out a living. I was; however, happy for myself because I did profit. It was then that I realized that people do appreciate the value of handmade items and are willing to pay the price for quality designs rather than pay for inexpensive imported items.

Hurray for handmade!!!

****************************
After each event I like to profile a crafter who has caught my eye with his/her creativity. This week I'd like to feature Remember When. Among the items Robin and Beverly make are quilted reversible ironing board covers at a very reasonable price. The colors are so pleasing and the prints so attractive that I would think these covers would make the chore of ironing a bit more palatable. Unfortunately, they do not have a website but I'm sure you will see them at one of the craft shows in the area.

****************************
Our next stop is the Country Craft Spring Show at the Foxcare Center, 1 Foxcare Drive, Oneonta, NY 13820. This is a two day event!
Saturday, April 5, 2014 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday, April 6, 2014 - 10:00 am - 3:00 pm

If you are local, why not spend part of the weekend taking a scenic drive down I88 to Exit 16,Oneonta, visit the show, and help out small businesses? 

Easter is only a couple of weeks away and Mother's Day isn't far behind so it's a perfect time to purchase unique gifts for all of the special people on your list.

*****************************

Drastically Reduced!!!


I have several one of a kind acrylic winter scarves that I have marked down to unheard of prices. These scarves are only available at craft shows and only for a limited time. If you can't make the shows and are interested in one of these scarves please send an email to me, dbabin731@gmail.com, and we will work out the details.

This yellow 60" infinity scarf is adorned with clear glass beads. It is stunning over black, brown, or navy especially when the beads shimmer in the light.
Regularly $60.00 it has been reduced to only $20.00!

This teal 36" cowl style scarf is adorned with blue, gold, clear, and purple beads.
It is stunning on black or white.
Regularly $50.00 it has been reduced to only $15.00!

This white 60" infinity scarf is adorned with beads I purchased in Key West.
They are biconne beads in a pale shade of green.
o soft and elegant on the pure white yarn, it reminds me of Key Lime Pie.
Regularly $60.00 it is marked down to $20.00!

shorter version of this Key Lime Pie scarf scarf above measures 15" and is only $5.00!
It is the perfect size for a collar scarf or for a young girl.


This deep purple 60" infinity scarf has gold, pink, iridescent, and green glass beads knitted throughout. The metallic thread and the beads add such shimmer to your outfit
when they catch the light.
Regularly $60.00 it has been reduced to $20.00!!!

This baby soft white 36" cowl scarf has irregular shaped crackle beads knitted throughout. The pink, gold, olive, and magenta beads add such interest to this scarf.
Regularly $50.00 is has been reduced to $15.00!

It's never too early to plan for Christmas! Imagine how lovely this 44" soft white cowl scarf adorned with red, gold, and green seed beads will look during the Christmas season!
Regularly $50.00 it has been reduced to $15.00!

At 65" long this gray stone acrylic scarf has white moon shaped beads with clear rhinestones that shimmer when they catch the light. Regularly $60.00 it has been reduced to $20.00!

Until next time...

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment