Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Those Annoying Phone Calls

Several months ago I vented about the Do Not Call Registry and how businesses do not seem to be abiding by it. I have been informed that many of these calls come from outside the US allowing companies to bypass the regulations. Well, last week the annoying phone calls took a different turn.

I received two calls within an hour of each other. The first call was about an auto insurance quote I had requested. The second call was for an estimate on replacement windows. I had not requested either of these items and became very bothered by the disruption.

Not long after I received yet another call from the shipping department at Medic Alert informing me that my order is ready to ship. You are correct. I did not place an order to Medic Alert either!

Each time I receive one of these calls I think about the not so lucid senior citizen who does not remember whether they requested information, or placed an order, and unknowingly ends up giving out personal information. It is well known that as people age their filters and sense of danger diminish which is why the elderly so often fall prey to shady contractors doing household repairs. It is also why they tend to speak their mind and not care whom they offend.

Are the people making these calls just trying to eek out a living like the rest of us or are they scam artists with less than honorable intentions in mind? They say, "Let the buyer beware." Please do so whenever you pick up the phone or open an email.

Some time ago I mentioned calls from Windows about our computer having a virus and hackers getting into it. The caller asks the owner to turn on the computer and then the caller takes control of it. They can be very convincing that they are legitimate and that your computer is in danger. Well, if you weren't sure this was a scam let this example confirm it. A couple of weeks ago my aunt received a call from Windows telling her that she had a problem with her computer. This was pretty amusing because she doesn't own a computer. Guess who the hackers are...

********************************************
Featuring two more necklets this week - Pumpkin and Seafoam!
Two very popular colors at craft shows!
They are available in 23" or 32" and can be worn as necklaces or bracelets!
Click on the links below the pictures or visit my website:
www.cruisincreations.etsy.com
Order yours today!!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190484397/seafoam-beaded-knitted-necklet-can-be?ref=shop_home_active_1


https://www.etsy.com/listing/190475044/pumpkin-beaded-knitted-necklet-comes-in?ref=listing-shop-header-1

Until Next Time...

Diane



No comments:

Post a Comment