Thursday, June 30, 2016

Reverence, Phones, and Society

As children we are taught that there is a time and a place for everything. In this day of instant gratification, social media, games, and texting it seems that we are more concerned with what is going on in cyber space than what is going on in real life. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to sneaking a peek at my phone when the opportunity presents itself, but there are certain places where I will not check my phone. In fact I turn it off rather than put it in silent mode so that I will not be tempted or disturb others. I believe church is not the time nor the place for using our phones (unless, of course, there is an emergency). I think most people will agree with me that church on this.

Recently my husband and I had the displeasure of sitting behind a woman who spent her time before the beginning of mass texting on her phone. She tried to hide it in the top of her very large purse, but those around her were very distracted by her necessity to text rather than spend the time in prayer and meditation.

I did wrestle with the appropriateness of asking her to put the phone away, but decided against it. Had she continued during mass I might have. Obviously, I didn't want to cause a scene and there might have been a very good reason why it was so necessary for her to text while in church. But, while I was sitting there distracted by her texting while trying to pray I couldn't help lamenting the direction our society has taken.

We seem to have forgotten certain socially acceptable behaviors. We seem to be so self absorbed that we would rather surf the web, text, check out Facebook, Instagram, or some other social media site rather than enjoy what is going on right in front of us. And, while the current generation thinks living is having thousands of "friends" on social media and spending the day checking other's posts, commenting, and sharing the reality is that actually experiencing others in person and experiencing nature is really living.

Cellphones are a convenience not a lifeline.

Clearance Sale!

Our cotton scarves have been reduced for immediate sale! Choose from cowl scarves at $10.00 each or classic and infinity scarves at $20.00 each. That's over a 50% reduction!!! There are only a few left! https://www.etsy.com/shop/cruisincreations?section_id=15934367

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232600885/clearance-sale-orange-beaded-knitted?ref=shop_home_active_4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232388496/clearance-sale-hot-pink-knitted-beaaded?ref=shop_home_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232604465/clearance-sale-purple-cotton-infinity?ref=shop_home_active_5

Upcoming Events

We will be at the Shaker Heritage Society July Craft Fair and Cruise In on July 9 & 10! The Shaker Museum is at 25 Meeting House Road, Albany, NY. Hours are 10 - 4 and admission is $4.00.

On July 16 we will be at the Schroon Lake Town Park in Schroon Lake, NY from 10-4. 

Please stop by and say, "Hello!" We love meeting our followers!

Until Next Time...

Diane




No comments:

Post a Comment