Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Traditions!

As I type this blog I can't help thinking about the song, Tradition from Fiddler On The Roof. I believe traditions are very important in our lives. They help define us, comfort us, provide stability when life is chaotic.

Saturday evening I did a lot of thinking about traditions, specifically my family's traditions and wondered what will become of them as the next generation begins their married lives together.

On Saturday I had the pleasure of helping my future daughter's-in-law Matron of Honor host her bridal shower. It was held at a local clubhouse and about 30 people were in attendance. It was a very nice affair for Melissa to enjoy her family and friends while they wished her well in her upcoming marriage.

After I left I started thinking about our family traditions, how they have changed over the years and became very melancholy as I began wondering if they will continue with the next generation. Then I started to realize that many of the traditions my parents carried on have gone away with my family because I chose not to continue them. Were my parents concerned about that? I will never know.

This whole concern about traditions began several months ago as I started to think about a tradition we Italians have where we tie Jordan almonds or confetti in netting to wedding favors as a symbol of luck for the bride and groom. I had mentioned this to our son, who thought I had lost it, and made it clear that he didn't want the confetti tied to anything at his wedding. I have to agree that this tradition is a bit silly since no one really likes these candies so a lot of time and money is spent for them to be tossed in the garbage. But something, perhaps my mother sending messages from Heaven, kept nagging me about including the confetti at either the wedding or shower. So, what to do?

I decided to scatter them on the tray of cookies that was served at the shower. No one realized what I had done, but I felt as if I had, in my own way continued the tradition. I was comforted.

Another tradition began with my mother, baking Ribbon Jewel Cakes, a recipe she received from a friend several decades ago. They are a fussy cookie that take 2 days to complete, but because they are so delicious they are well worth the effort. Much like a petit four they are layers of thin sponge cake with raspberry preserves, apricot preserves, sour cream, and almonds between the layers. A butter cream frosting tops them off.

Because of the fussiness of these cookies my mother would make them for the most special family events thus making them even more of a treat. The last time she made them was for our 25th anniversary party. Since her death I have tried to carry on that tradition, making them for Christmas and special events. Well... that meant making them for the shower.

Needless to say these tasty treats were a big hit! So, will the tradition continue when I am no longer able to make them? That will depend on my children and their spouses...

Our daughter will continue many of our traditions, like pie day, and fish on Christmas Eve, and maybe she will attempt Ribbon Jewel Cakes someday. Our son and his bride will start their own traditions and maybe keep a few of ours which may continue with future generations. I suppose every parent who takes such comfort in traditions goes through the same emotions I went through when they realize that those traditions may die…


So some traditions may be silly, some very tasty, and some done out of necessity. Whatever the reason, they are important to carry on so that future generations can share an appreciation of their ancestors and their heritage.

 *****************************************************
The green peridot Swarovski crystals just pop on this crisp white nylon yarn 
to make a stunning August birthstone bracelet and necklace.
Click on the links below each picture to order your birthstone bracelets and necklaces today!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194695617/knitted-beaded-swarovski-crystal?ref=shop_home_active_4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/173955406/18-birthstone-necklaces-made-with?ref=shop_home_active_14

**********************************************************
It's been a very busy week filling orders, finishing up some pieces, and packing for this weekend's Round Lake Arts and Crafts Show, Round Lake, NY! I'm told this is a very busy show which benefits the Women's Round Lake Improvement Society. Stop by on Saturday, August 9 from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, or Sunday, August 10 from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Mention this blog and receive 15% off of your purchase at Cruisin' Creations!

Until Next Time...

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment