Monday, July 28, 2014

The Lake Of Dreams and Decisions Of Our Ancestors

I recently finished reading The Lake Of Dreams by Kim Edwards. Like in the Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim gave me much to morally wrestle with as I finished the book. Admittedly, it took a few pages for me to get into this book but once I did, I just couldn't put it down! I was sorry to have the book end, but must say, I was very pleased with the creative way Kim handled a sticky situation.

Briefly, the book is about Lucy Jarrett who is living in Japan with her boyfriend, Yoshi, when she learns that her widowed mother has broken her arm. Being unemployed, Lucy decides to travel to the Lake of Dreams in upstate NY to help her mother. During her visit Lucy makes a discovery about her ancestry. She becomes obsessed with finding all of the pieces connected to this discovery and in the process stirs up a lot of old memories and feelings.

This book got me thinking about my own family history and how different life would have been or had not have happened at all had my ancestors, as well as my husband's, made different decisions.

My mother's family is from a small town in Italy named Sora. My father's family is from Cosenza, Italy. Worlds apart for two struggling families. In the early 1900s my mother's and father's parents decided to emigrate to the United States and settle in Schenectady, NY. 20+ years after my parents were born they both attended a dance where they met and married a few months later.

So I started thinking...what if my grandparents decided to stay in Italy? What it my parents had not gone to that dance? What if...

My husband's family has a similar story. His father's grandparents emigrated from Ireland and Lithuania. His father served in the US Army during WWII and was stationed in England where he attended a USO dance. A pretty young lady was dancing with another soldier. His father cut in and the rest is history. They were married and settled in Schenectady, NY where his father grew up.

Again, I ask...what if his great-grandparents had decided to stay in Europe? What if his father was stationed somewhere else during the war? What if he hadn't cut in during that dance? What if...

It struck me how much every decision we make effects not only ourselves but so many people around us whom we haven't even met yet. The decisions we make are like throwing a stone into a lake and watching the water ripple. We don't know how many people we will effect by our decisions.

An overwhelming thought, so much responsibility on our shoulders, I know!!!

***************************************************************
Remember the dark skies beads and denim blue yarn I talked about last week? Well, the finished designs are now in my Etsy shop! I just love this color combination. It is so soothing to look at! Sure to draw the attention of those around you. these items are perfect for a formal occasion or to dress up jeans and a t-shirt. Click on the links below each picture to view each listing. 

This necklet measures 23" long and can also be worn as a wrap bracelet as shown in the picture below. 
It is also available in a 32" length.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197414862/denim-blue-beaded-necklet-wear-as-a?ref=shop_home_active_3


 These scarves are available in the waterfall and cowl styles as shown. 
They are also available in infinity and traditional open ended styles.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197423863/denim-blue-choose-your-style-scarf?ref=shop_home_active_1

Single, wrap, and cuff or stack bracelets are available!
They are so comfortable to wear because their are so light and airy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197416340/denim-blue-knitted-beaded-bracelet-comes?ref=shop_home_active_4

 Never lose your eyeglasses or sunglasses again with this beautiful denim blue eyeglass holder!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197425529/denim-blue-beaded-eyeglass-holder?ref=shop_home_active_2

Like the color but don't see a style you would like? Send an email and I will create a design just for you!

***************************************************************
Our next show is in Round Lake, NY on August 9 & 10. Not having done this one before I understand that it is a tremendous show with crafters lining the main street. Can't wait to see the transformation from sleepy village to crafter's paradise!!! More details to follow next week...

Until Next Time...

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment