Monday, July 21, 2014

Reflections On The Past Week

Things change. I think we can all agree on that. Some changes are more difficult to handle than others...

After much discussion over the past few months my husband and I disconnected our landline last week. Not earth shattering news to many of you, I'm sure. To us it was strange. Very strange...We had had that same phone number for most of our married life - 37 years to be exact! So to get rid of it seemed like we were getting rid of a part of us, a part of our marriage. Silly, I know.

I must say, that although I still reach for that phone when I want to make a local call, and check the answering machine that is no longer there each time I enter the house, I am not missing the landline. The majority of the calls were from solicitors, so I must say we can now eat our dinner without interruption from charities looking for money, enjoy our favorite TV shows without calls telling us we have a virus on our computer, or that our Medic Alert order is ready to ship, and sleep soundly without wrong numbers waking us in the middle of the night. The house is so peaceful!

We should have done this sooner. Oops, I probably shouldn't have said that. My husband has been after me for over a year to disconnect the phone. But...I had to notify people and that took time... ;)

On another note...

On Saturday, my husband and I hosted a family reunion. This has been going on for over 50 years and is an event that is usually attended by 40 or more. This year was no different. The difference; however, was the actual people who were in attendance. Things are changing, people are aging, the generation who originated this reunion is reducing in number but the younger generations are increasing and joining us. Ahhh, the cycle of life.

How I miss the older generation, our parents, aunts, and uncles and wish that I had paid closer attention to their stories, the family recipes, and just spent more time with them. Many of their stories, as they, are gone forever...

While hosting is a lot of work, and we don't get much of a chance to sit and visit, we are happy to host when the opportunity arises. This reunion keeps the family connected, helps us understand and appreciate our family history and traditions, and gives us that security that each and every one of us needs. We may not see each other often but we know, if ever there is a time when we need each other, we will be there!

*******************************************************
I went shopping with a friend last week and picked up some new yearn and beads. It's amazing what fresh eyes can see and how they can offer new ideas. Over the next few weeks I will be unveiling some items in this new color. Here's a sneak preview...

Denim yarn with Dark Skies glass beads. A perfect way to dress up jeans and a t-shirt!

Cowl scarf in progress...

Necklet and bracelets
The beads are so subtle that they are sure to add that mysterious touch to these pieces!

These are not yet available in my shop, but send me a message and I will create a piece just for you.

********************************************************

Our next stop is the Round Lake Arts and Crafts Festival on August 9 & 10. This event benefits the Women's Round Lake Improvement Society. More details as we get closer to this event.

Until Next Time...

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment