Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Keeping Our Personal History Alive

My husband and I had the privilege of celebrating our nation’s birthday with relatives. Over the course of the day we spoke about the fond memories and amusing quirks of our parents who are no longer with us, the real names of some of our aunts and uncles ( they didn’t know that my father’s real name was Gennaro), and the WWII experiences of those who had served. It was so heartwarming to hear the special place in which we each hold our deceased family members and fun to laugh and appreciate all that they have given us. I am not talking about material things, but the strength of character, morals, values, traditions, and love that each of us carries today because of them.

I learned that one of my uncles, who was so meek and extremely religious, was in the first wave of soldiers storming the beaches of Normandy. I never knew this and couldn’t help wondering how this kind man lived his life day after day after witnessing all of that bloodshed. I also wondered if his deep sense of religion and belief in God was deepened by that experience.

I left my cousin’s home feeling very blessed and appreciative of the past we all share. 

Four years ago I began a project with my father where we recorded his WWII experience in a book. At the age of 88 he began to write down what had gone on in 1943 when he was drafted into the army and the next 30 months of his life. His memory of that time was so sharp! We included pictures and other pieces of his collection to more vividly tell his story. As with my uncle, I wondered how my kind and caring father, who served in the Pacific Theater and on Iwo Jima could endure all that he endured and come back to be the wonderful husband and father that he was. I cherish that time I shared with him as he died 5 months after we gave him the printed copies of his memoirs.

That precious history of my father’s experiences of WWII would have gone to the grave with him had we not encouraged him to record those events. He, as many WWII veterans, were very quiet about those experiences. It was as if they thought it didn’t happen if they didn’t talk about it. It isn’t until recent years that these courageous men and women have begun telling their stories before they are lost forever.

Family history is so important to the identity of each and every one of us. We carry a little bit of that history with us at all times. I believe so strongly in sharing that history with our children and grandchildren because that is what is going to help them understand the beliefs, customs, and personalities of themselves and their relatives.

We all have a history worth sharing. I encourage each of you to begin telling that story. Perhaps it is in a journal where you chronicle your daily experiences, or it’s in a written history you keep on your computer. Whatever form you choose, please don’t wait as you never know when it will be too late.

************************************************
I found these green Russian serpentine and red bamboo coral beads in my stash last week and decided to complete some new designs with them. The beads are irregular chips and the stitch used is much tighter than what I have used in the past. They will make their debut at this weekend's show. 




**********************************************************
I'm so excited to be back in craft fair mode! This weekend we will be at the Shaker Heritage Society, 25 Meeting House Road, Albany, NY. The show runs 10:00 am - 4:00 pm each day. This is a handmade only show. Stop by to view the art that some very talented people create and maybe pick up something special for yourself!

Mention this blog and receive 15% off of your purchase at Cruisin' Creations!!!

Until Next Time...

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment